Traveling with chickens, doves, ducks, geese, grouse, guinea fowl, partridges, pea fowl, pheasants, pigeons, quail, swans, turkeys or birds of prey

2. If your pet is a commonly kept pet bird species such as a parrot, parakeet, finch or canary traveling with your pet inside, or outside, the United States is much like described elsewhere for dogs and cats, except for the vaccinations. Please visit this link for further information “Traveling with dogs, cats, ferrets, rabbits, rodents, hedgehogs (including tenrecs), reptiles, amphibians and pet birds such as parrots, parakeets, finches and canaries”

If your pet is a Chicken, Dove, Duck, Goose, Grouse, Guinea Fowl, Partridge, Pea Fowl, Pheasant, Pigeon, Quail, Swan, Turkey or bird of prey traveling with your pet inside, or outside, the United States will be significantly more complex. This is because your pet can carry and transmit diseases that are heavily controlled to protect the poultry industry in the United States, and internationally. Therefore, your pet’s travel will be regulated as though you are transporting poultry if you are traveling domestically, or if you are traveling internationally your pet’s travel will be regulated as though you are exporting and importing poultry.

If you are traveling domestically, within the United States, you will first need to visit the USDA website for information about interstate movements of poultry. You should also contact the State Veterinarian’s Office for the State you are traveling to for any further information you may need The State you are travelling to will be the one that sets the requirements for allowing your bird into the State.

The government of the foreign country you are travelling to will be responsible for setting the requirements for allowing your pet into the country, if you are traveling internationally. Therefore, you will first need to visit the USDA International Regulations (IRegs) for Animal Exports Home Page You will want to do this MONTHS in advance of your travel date. Here you will find further information including a database maintained by the USDA to help you understand the steps, including tests and vaccines, you will have to take to prepare your pet to travel with you internationally. These requirements are established by each individual country according to their laws, so they vary significantly from country to country, and can change without warning. The USDA does an excellent job keeping up with these changes, but you will want to check this website repeatedly, as well as contacting the USDA Veterinary Services Office in your area as you complete your pet’s preparations.

These rules apply to assistance animals, therapy animals, service animals, and emotional support animals just like they do to pets. DO NOT ASSUME you will be granted an exception simply because you need to keep your animal with you at all times. Also, be aware the laws of the United States that provide special allowances for therapy, service, assistance, and emotional support animals do not apply outside of the United States.

Be aware you are not ‘just taking your pet on a trip with you’. In the eyes of the animal disease control officials in the country you are visiting you are importing an animal into a foreign country. There are SERIOUS international regulations regarding this that have been put in place to protect the animal related industries in the countries involved. Obviously, your pet is not livestock, but your pet can carry diseases that affect livestock, and transmit these to livestock in the country you are visiting. Your pet can also carry diseases that can be transmitted to people. The government simply wants to ensure they are regulating the risk of letting people bring foreign animals into the country.

Finally, as you complete preparation of your pet’s traveling papers you will need to obtain a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), or Health Certificate, from a USDA Accredited Veterinarian. Not every veterinarian provides this service because gaining USDA Accreditation is a complicated, frustrating, and time-consuming process, plus USDA Accredited Veterinarians must deal with the bureaucratic hassles associated with issuing and assuming responsibility for CVI’s, or Health Certificates. The veterinarians at Pet Medical Services are all USDA Accredited.

However, do not expect us to have the CVI/Health Certificate waiting for you and to know all the details about completing it. We are experts in treating and preventing animal disease, not in animal importation and exportation. Each individual country’s veterinary inspection process is different. We can assist you with animal exportation and importation, but it is not a primary focus of what we do. Things will go much smoother if you take time to be well prepared ahead of your visit to complete the CVI/Health Certificate.

If all your pet’s paperwork is not in order when you travel, and it is found that some detail of your pet’s preparations was not perfectly completed you may face the horrendously unpleasant situation of your pet being quarantined, against your will but at your expense in a foreign country. Therefore, you want to start your preparations well in advance, so you will not have to rush and run the risk of some detail being overlooked.

For international travel you will also need to have the CVI/Health Certificate endorsed by a 2nd veterinarian directly employed by the USDA. Fortunately, this can often be done online, but don’t count on this until you verify it with the endorsement office. There are fees associated with obtaining this USDA Endorsement in addition to the fees associated with obtaining a CVI from a USDA Accredited Veterinarian. These fees are set by the USDA, not by us. You can find these fees here

The bureaucratic hassles of traveling with your pet can be nightmarish, especially when traveling internationally. Your USDA Accredited Veterinarian, and the USDA Endorsing Veterinarian are there to serve you, to ensure that a complex and difficult process goes smoothly so you and your pet can enjoy your trip instead of enduring a nightmare of bureaucratic hassles in a foreign country. Please be prepared to work with them as they do their best to make a very complex process as simple as possible for you.

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you


Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Office Hours


8:00 am-5:00 pm


8:00 am-5:00 pm


8:00 am-5:00 pm


8:00 am-5:00 pm


8:00 am-5:00 pm